Friday, September 10, 2010

When life gives you raspberries...make raspberry ice tea? Part 2

Ron Artest

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Ron-Artest-s-championship-ring-is-for-sale-inqu?urn=nba-268518

Ron Artest...what can I really say about the guy.  No more than 6 years ago I would have said he was some hot tempered maniac, that should probably have been kicked out of the NBA.  Now believe that he is one of the most stand up athletes that I have seen in a long time.  My hat comes off to him.  For 11 years Artest has struggled in the league to finally win that long sought after NBA Championship ring, and thanks to his contributions on the Los Angeles Lakers, he finally made it.  No player was more excited to win that championship on the Lakers team than Ron Artest.  So what does he say when the microphone comes to him..."shout out to my hood"...wow...what else could could I say.  After that moment though, he continued to surprise me, taking his off-season time to go and talk at different schools about the struggles that he had gone through.  And now, Artest declares that he will put his championship ring up for auction and give the proceeds to a charity, in order to get more psychiatrists, psychologists, and therapists in the schools to help the children.  I think the part about this that makes this story so great is that he is not even just giving away his money, he is selling an item, that he put his blood sweat and tears into earning.  An 11 year journey all accumulated on that one moment, and that one single item, and he is willing to give that up in order to help others.  Ron Artest certainly has come a long way.  From the Pacers v. Pistons brawl in 2004, to the domestic abuse arrest in 2007, which got him kicked off of the Sacramento Kings, Artest has truly grown.  Artest realized the impact that good therapy, and--dear I say--some prescription drugs have had upon his life, and how much better he is for it.

1 comment:

  1. Artest began his career with the Chicago Bulls so I got to see him up close. I appreciated his passion on the court but always saw an underlying explosion waiting to happen.

    ReplyDelete